Thursday, August 7, 2014

Guardians of the galaxy movie review


Hey guys,
One of the most anticipated movie of this year is finally in theaters. Guardians of the galaxy has taken the box office by storm but was this movie really as good as the box office suggests? Let's find out!
Internet reviewers have all had more than positive reviews on this movie but I have to disagree with them this time. In my opinion the bar things about this movie outweigh the good things. 
I thought that the movie had some good aspects like the chemistry between all characters. That was definately a good aspect and I particularly loved Gomora and Starlord chemistry as wells as Rocket's chemistry with Drax. My personal favourite character has been Groot. I had mixed feeling about him and Rocket but it turned out they were the stars of the movie. I think that the explaination given as to why Rocket is the way he is and that to me made perfect sense. At times both the score and some scenes were great. For instance, when at the beginning we see them walking together towards the camera but these were only small scenes.
I also enjoyed the many references to Thanos and I was extremely happy to see him pop up for a couple of quick scenes.
The last thing that I liked was the links the movie had with the MCU. The collector from Thor: The Dark World was there and so was Thanos that we had seen in the 1st Avengers post credit scene.
Now let's move the negatives!
I didn't like the overall tone of the movie. The plot might have made sense in a way, but the tone was too humorous for me. I didn't like all those jokes made in scenes were we should have felt the tension of the fight. I did laugh at most of them but I still think that movies like this undermine the quality of the entire genre. Marvel's president Kevin Feige recently stated that DC has a more serious tone in their movies but I feel that they are going towards the opposite direction. I didn't mind the humor in Captain America: The Winter Soldier but I completely hated Thor: The Dark World.
I also didn't like that product placement of Sony. The camera lingered for too much on Starlord's tape player and that bothered me a bit.
I also dreaded the post credit scene. It was underwhelming to say the least, it was just a small teaser for the recently comfirmed sequel which will apparently feature Howard the Duck.
Anyway, at the end of the day what counts for Marvel is the box office result and I don't think they will be let down by the world wide box office. They have shown everybody that once you have established a good universe people will show up to see everything you want them to see and they will believe everything you want them to believe.

This movie is by far the worst superhero movie of 2014. My overall mark is 4.5/10

Follow us on Facebook-->The-Hero-Blogger

-theheroblogger

2 comments:

  1. You clearly missed the point of the film, turning tropes on end one after another. Even the after credits scene was playing with expectations of Marvel fans. It was refreshing to see something new, in my opinion. But if you want to see the expected clichés, then your review was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie was without a doubt something we had never seen before, but let me ask you this: would you like an upcoming Batman movie to have the same tone?

    ReplyDelete