Friday, August 22, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie review

Hey guys,
I just got out of the theatre where I went to see TMNT. I know I am late to the party, but It's been a rough two weeks. I moved to Florida and It took me a while to settle in but I finally found the time to see one of my most anticipated movies of the summer.
Let me start by saying that I wasn't a big fan of the cartoon, I watched a couple of episodes, I knew the turtles names and with that ended my knowledge of this universe. Unlike some people I know, I went into theatre with an open mind and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.
The Positives for me were:

1. The look of the turtles
As I said in my trailer review, I think the turtles look really good. They are enormous, they are scary and most importantly they look intimitading as opposed to other movies where the turtles were much shorter and less scary.

2. The action
I loved the action!! The subway scene was well shot because it allowed us to understand what was going on and at the same time it didn't reveal the turtles look much. The mountain scene was also very well done, I loved the fact that the turtles were always on the same page and knew exactly what to do.

3. Megan Fox as April O'Neil
Everybody was bashing on this movie after hearing Megan Fox was cast as April O'Neil and they might have had every right to do so, however in my opinion she managed to carry the movie very well, her role is very active and everything she does( no matter how stupid it is) fits in well because it got established that it is part of her journalist adventurous spirit. Also, she didn't have to show any part of her bodies throughtout the movie and to me, though disappointing, it is a good sign that she has moved forward with her acting carreer.




4. Raphael
The best turtle in my opinion. How bad ass was he? Simply and utterly phenomenal. He stole every scene he was in. The voice and the look were perfect for his character.




5. Score
You guys know I need a good score to get me pumped throughout the movie and this score did just that. It was well-blent into the movie and it pulled me right into it

There aren't a lot of negatives for me in this movie. Objectively the movie had some flaws but I didn't let that cloud my judgment on the overall quality. The Negatives for me were:

1. Some plot holes
There were some plot holes which made me go: why in the hell is he doing that? For instance when shredder was beating down Raphael, I didn't understand why he would leave in the middle of the fight leaving the turtles unguarded and allowing them to escape.

2. Seriousness and comedy
At times the seriousness of the movie was punched in the face by some poorly placed humor. In most cases I really enjoyed the humor, but in one accasion it really bothered me. Right after Splinter was injured, Raphael decides to go rescue his brothers. Well I hated that one scene when April calls Will Arnett's character to ask him to pick her up. That scene was completely out of place.

Overall the movie was a lot of fun, it was a very good first instalment for what looks to be a very promising franchise. A sequel is already in the works and I am kind of excited to see once again Megan Fox together with the turtles.
This movie deserves, in my opinion, a 7.5/10

Follow us on Facebook --> The-Hero-Blogger
and Twitter

-theheroblogger

No comments:

Post a Comment