Friday, March 14, 2014

Batman 1966 Review

Hey guys,
today I'll review the 1960s tv show and film on Batman featuring Adam West as the Dark Knight and Burt Ward as Dick Grayson,
Obviously,  those of us who were born in the 70s, 80s and 90s do not even know what I am talking about or perhaps they might have seen only a couple of episodes. I have to admit that I have watched Nolan's "Dark Knight trilogy" first then the Shumacher films and then I watched a couple of episodes of that 60s show. So my judgement is a bit distorted since I've watched the best version of Batman first and then I gradually moved to the negative incarnations of the Caped Crusader but I have decided that I'm going to review all the versions of Batman chronologically.
Adam West version of Batman is to blame, in my opinion, for building  up a bad reputation for comic book movies and tv shows. A while ago I posted an article on why the Academy Awards blatantly snobbed comic book movies even though they are among the most appreciated movies of the last decade. Well the 60s version of Batman with Adam West is to blame for undermining the reputation of comic book movies. The silly portrayal of Batman with horrible fights, horrible villains, and strange words appearing on the screen when a punch was being thrown is not acceptable for those of us who have the pleasure of watching the Dark Knight trilogy.

Looking back on the tv show, the aim was to entertain, even the outfits used by Batman, Robin, Joker and the Riddler were meant to amuse the audience but the message that actually came across was that the characters were not believable and certainly not realistic.
Considering that the show was released in the 60s it is certainly not fair to criticize the special effects although I have to say that they were certainly much more credible than "The Adventure's of Superman" with George Reeves.
I am aware that for many of you Adam West is Batman just like Tom Welling will always be my Superman but still I truly believe that the show created a very negative image of comic books in general.

Follow us on Facebook --> The-Hero-Blogger

-theheroblogger

No comments:

Post a Comment